Something you don't expect your husband to say....
"Jack! Licking food off the table is never appropriate."
The great books...
In high school I took several literature classes (I don't know what they were really called but I read a great many great books in them) and I've always been grateful for having been forced to read all those wonderful books; Wuthering Heights, The Great Gatsby, A Tale of Two Cities, Babbit, Canterbury Tales, Catcher in the Rye (one of my all time favorites)... you get the idea. Though through those classes I never once read Moby Dick and I've always felt a little secret guilt about that. A couple of years ago I ordered it through Amazon with the best of intentions. I cracked it as soon as I got it home and ... I couldn't do it. A few months later I tried again but... nope. It's still on the list. I am going to read that book! But so far it hasn't happened. Frankly it hasn't even made it to my "next in line to be read" shelf or the "next group of books I need to read" drawer - but I do know where it is and I. Will. Read. It.
So fast forward to this morning and Teddy tells me he's reading Moby Dick. Wow, I think. That's great! He's 11 and he's reading Moby Dick, I'm impressed. I tell him how I've always wanted to read it, how I recently bought it, but hadn't quite gotten to it yet. I tell him what a great book it is, what a wonderful story it is (totally trying to encourage him to keep reading it as I've found it too dry to capture me and am afraid he'll find the same thing). And really I am in all honesty impressed that he'd be reading it in 6th grade. (That may be perfectly normal; after all he got it from school, but it sort of feels early to me) He is appropriately proud of himself given my reaction and all is well. Then Jackson leaves the room.
T: You know mom, I'm only reading it because of the last name. You know... Dick.
It was all I could do not to fall over laughing at him. Why I didn't see that coming I have no idea. Boy is he going to be sorely disappointed. I was told a Star Trek Next Generation episode was loosely based on the book which I told Ted when I picked him up from school today - I hope that connection will keep him interested when he realizes it's not exciting in exactly the way he was hoping for.
Camela
Friday
7 years ago

1 comment:
The Star Trek movie where the Borg travel back in time to where Earth achieves warp powered flight is full of Moby Dick themes, with the Borg as the great while whale and Picard as the obsessed captain. Best Next-Gen movie.
And - Is it ever appropriate to lick food off the table?
Post a Comment