Monday, September 7, 2009

Finally - my long parental nightmare is over

My two very active, fairly athletic boys, ages 11 and 8 1/2 really didn't know how to ride their bikes till this week. To be fair I taught my very cautious son Teddy (over his very strident protests) a couple of years ago when he was 8ish so he's been capable of it for a while - but every single time I've convinced him to actually get on the bike it has taken every bit of his concentration to stay upright and make it from here to there and back so it's never been remotely fun for him. It's just hard and stupid - end of story.

And then there's Jackson who is so much more physically self aware - for whom biking should be second nature - but sadly believes in his heart of hearts that he is not capable of doing anything until 2 years after his brother does it, since he's 2 years younger. It's like a law of nature or physics or something - it's just true. So I couldn't get Jack to even sit on a bike - not even one with training wheels (which we took off a few years ago). Brad still says I'm more stubborn than Jackson, but I find that hard to believe.

It's been in the back of my mind that this fall was not going to pass without Jackson learning how at least as well as Ted. It's been two years and frankly it's embarrassing that my kids don't have this skill. I always figured they'd want to ride with their friends and that would push them on, but .. eh Ted's too lazy to be spurred on by a potentially physically taxing version of peer pressure and Jack's just not familiar with the concept (bonus for him). Our neighborhood is really not good for learning - it's all hills. The only place remotely flat is from our house to the end of the cul-de-sac but even that is a slight hill and not a huge distance - on every other inch of street in our neighborhood you are either going up or down at a fairly steep grade. So again to be fair to them - I've not pushed it as hard as I should have and not taken them up to the school or whatever to help them out and Brad's not been at all interested in getting involved with this project over the years - I was the only one horrified by their lack of ability here.

Now cut to this weekend

Ted comes in and says: "hey I'm really good at riding my bike"
Me: ... duh.. what.. uh... wow honey that's great! Can I see?
T: yeah come on out and see - he was really excited
And there he is - on the bike he learned on, his old bike, the one that's too small for Jackson, but sure enough he's riding up and down the street just like he knows what he's doing. He's actually enjoying himself, not to mention thinking he's the bomb (he didn't notice he looked like one of those clowns riding on a tiny little bike.) I'm thinking - BRILLIANT!!! If he will just keep playing around on that little bike we can easily translate that onto his bigger bike.

AND THEN..... I am outside doing something else and Jackson hops on the little bike and starts gliding down the little hill to the cul-de-sac. He's got the balance thing down with no problem. I sneak up behind him and give him some pointers and push while he gets peddling and pretty soon he's doing it on his own. And on the next day he wants to go out again and Brad actually went out with him. He said he did better with Brad - whatever! He spent 10-15 minutes each day and then on day three he just went out and practiced on his own. All Brad could say was... "he is SO not his brother".

But now, Ted's riding Ted's bike and Jack's riding Jack's bike and we can't get either of them off of them which is just exactly how it's supposed to be.

phew!
Camela

2 comments:

Sue said...

Yay! Good for your boys!

Sue

Misty said...

That's great!I could have live without mine ever learning how to ride a bike.lol!

Misty