I picked him up from school and on the way home......
Camela: When we get home I want you to show me your assignment, I’ve not had the chance to read it yet.
Teddy: Sure, no problem.
C: tell me a bit about the project - there's no wrong answer - just generally, what's it about?
T: (deep breaths, near tears) I just don't want to talk about it!
alrighty then....
927 hours later
C: please show me your assignment
A 3 ring binder is unceremoniously dropped in front of me
C: ok thanks, can you help me find it – where is it specifically?
T: It’s the whole binder
Deep breath
C: Okay but I just want to read the assignment
T: THAT’S MY BINDER
C: Yes dear I see that, but I want to read the assignment for what’s due on Monday.
T: (Pointing dramatically) THAT IS MY WHOLE GT SCIENCE BINDER – IT’S ALL THERE.
C: Teddy don’t be an ass (yes I really said that to him) find me the assignment
T: REALLY THAT'S IT - IT'S THE WHOLE BINDER
C: OMG – okay – sit your butt down, I’m going to read. (I pulled out the first sheet of half-hearted notes from the front pocket and started to read aloud)
T: WAIT, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?
C: You told me I had to read the whole binder, so I’m starting at the beginning.
T: (He tried to grab it from me) WHY ARE YOU DOING THAT?
C: You said I had to read the binder
T: WHAT DO YOU WANT? I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU WANT.
C: (really, really trying not to upend the kitchen table) I know Daddy has read a piece of paper that details this assignment and you won’t tell me where it is so I’m going to read the whole thing as you suggested and you're going to sit there and watch me.
T: OH THAT. YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN MORE SPECIFIC.
C: (everything I have and all that I am kept me from running upstairs so I could leap out of a window from the highest point in the house) OMG – I’ve been asking for the damn assignment since I picked you up, how the hell more specific could I have possibly gotten.
It went downhill from there.....
582 hours later
C: I’m concerned you don’t realize how much work this is and are therefore not taking it seriously enough
Well thank God for that, clearly I have nothing to worry about.
And then there's Jackson........
My sweet natured (occasionally), delightful (often) child has for two nights in a row thrown the mother of all hissy, whining, crying fits at the mere suggestion that it's homework time.
J: (dropping his head dejectedly to the table) I don't want to do homework
C: Well that's normal, but it's just one of those things you have to do
J: (crying in earnest now) WHY ARE YOU YELLING AT ME
C: (looking around at who he's talking to) ..... well you get the picture
I'm thinking of running away permanently... anyone want to join me?
Camela

No comments:
Post a Comment