On Saturday Teddy had the first of three soccer games in three days. I arrived at the beginning of the second half and they were losing 0 - 1. I later learned that one of our players, Michael, had inadvertently scored a goal for the other team - he was trying to clear a corner kick but it went off his leg and into the goal. I was thrilled for Michael's sake when our team tied it up and it was even better when we scored again. The game ended with us winning 2 - 1 and you could see Michael was visibly relieved.
So then today I get to Ted's game and Michael's mom comes over to me and says... I just wanted to tell you that after Michael scored the other team's goal yesterday Teddy went over to him and gave him a pat on the back and told him to shake it off. That we all learn from our mistakes, but he shouldn't let it effect him for the rest of the game. She said that Michael told her Teddy is such a nice guy and that was such a nice thing to say to me right then.
When we got home I told Teddy what she'd said and told him how proud I was of him. He said "I was so frustrated with him right then, but I knew that yelling at my own team mate would not serve any good purpose." Clearly I agreed with him. I didn't tell him this, but I was maybe more proud of him for that sentiment than for what he'd said in the first place. There's hope for him yet.
Camela
Friday
7 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment