Sunday, November 2, 2008

My son the wordsmith


Breakfast is over and Brad is trying to get Teddy to clean up some candy mess he made before we woke up and the attitude was starting already.

Brad: "Ted, you need to pick up that trash right now."

Ted: (absently as he heads, as if in a trance, towards the computer) "I'll be there in a minute!"

Brad: "No son, I mean right now. Don't sit down!"

Ted: "I said I'll be there in a minute."

Brad: "No. Ted. Now."

Begrudgingly, Ted got up moaning and groaning the whole way with half the trash in question to put it in the trash can. Brad hot on his heels with the part he missed to which Teddy mumbled indignantly again as he threw away the final piece.

Me: "Teddy, none of these requests are unreasonable; chill out."

Ted with an attitude laced voice: "Some of them are!"

Me: "Teddy go up to your room right now and write down all the requests that were unreasonable. I'll be happy to discuss them with you when you're done."

There was a bit more.. 'aww mom, come on', and 'stop talking, keep your mouth closed and get your butt upstairs' -- and up he went.

A few minutes later he called down. "Mom, I'm all done."

"Okay, bring it down." I can't wait to see what he's come up with. I'm totally expecting a list that is going to completely annoy me. But I'm ready, bring it on little boy.

He hands me a piece of paper that has one sentence on it:

"What I meant was that some requests are unreasonable but you have never asked me to do one."

What do you say to that?

Camela

No comments: