Saturday, November 14, 2009

The Wizard of Oz - from Jackson's perspective

Jackson is watching the Wizard of Oz for the first time. He's less than a month from turning 9.

First let me say that I know that lots kids watch this movie over and over and over again when they are little and it's just not a big deal - too young to really be scared of it. But I loved the ritual of it - watching it once a year and being scared and being excited to be scared and whatnot. BUT, I didn't want my kids to be scarred by it like some adults I know (you know who you are) so I wanted them to be old enough to watch it before I let them see it. When Teddy was about 6ish he and I watched it together and it was fun, but then I guess I forgot about Jackson - so here we are tonight.

So we're all sitting here watching it and it's just not going according to plan....

Teddy is playing on the computer and Jackson is half watching him and half watching the movie. And Jackson is doing a running commentary of the movie's special effects. It started off with "Mom, is this whole thing in black and white"

Then while watching the Wicked Witch of the West show up in Muchkin Land he's yelling at the TV "Hey she just showed up through a trap door. See! See! It's right below her!"

Then my personal favorite.... Glenda the good which is leaving Munchkin Land and if you remember she does that in a bubble that gently floats away getting smaller and smaller until you can't see it anymore. Jack just looked back to us and said... "That bubble is staying the same size." Brad was not following him and said "No bud, it's getting smaller what do you mean?" "Da-ad, it's just moving to a greater distance away so it looks smaller. Look" and he held his hand palm out towards Brad and slowly pulled it away and with a total know-it-all attitude he said "is my hand getting smaller?"

Brad and I both just totally cracked up.

The Wicked Witch zooms off after the snow wakes Dorothy and friends up from the poppy field and says "Fly, get there as fast as lightening" (or something along those lines) to which Jack responded "it's not as fast as lightening - you'd be there already"

They walk into Emerald City for the first time; Jackson jumps up and says "out of nowhere guess - I think they like green" (he thinks he's so funny)

I'm enjoying things from his perspective; it's given a whole new twist to the old movie.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOLOL I love him!

He may have already passed the magical age of Oz.

Leah hasn't seen that. I don't need flying monkey nightmares in my life!